Fayetteville, N.C. - The 2013-14 season serves as the 50th for the USA South Athletic Conference. In an effort to relive 50 Years of great student-athlete performances, each current league institution was given the opportunity to submit names of student-athletes who competed within the Conference and excelled not only on their campuses, but in the Conference as a whole. The league has continued its recognition of these teams with the sport of volleyball, and N.C. Wesleyan is proud to have placed 12 Bishop players on the squad.
The USA South began sponsoring both a regular season and tournament championship in the sport of volleyball in 1981. The Conference has produced many great individual and team performances over the years, beginning with N.C. Wesleyan's inaugural regular season championship in '81. Since then, the Battling Bishops have produced 49 All-Conference players and made two appearances in the league's tournament championship. Most recently, Wesleyan has put together a string of six-straight 20-win seasons, while NCWC has posted nine overall since the program's inception.
Below are the names and a brief summary of accolades for those Battling Bishops named to the 50th Anniversary Team. On behalf of the Department of Athletics, we congratulate each of these women on this noteworthy recognition.
- Jetanna McClain (retired #11 jersey; two-time league Coach of the Year)
- Arlene Massey (one of NCWC's first two All-Conference players; led NCWC to the Dixie's Inaugural Championship)
- Joyce Sparks (one of NCWC's first two All-Conference players; led NCWC to the Dixie's Inaugural Championship)
- Mary D'Eredita (NCWC's first two-time All-Conference player; three-time MVP)
- Crystal Hazelwood (NCWC's first two-time FIRST TEAM All-Conference player; two-time MVP)
- Vivian Vega (two-time All-Conference; led program in career assists and digs at time of graduation)
- Caitlin George (holds career record for assists; instrumental in Wesleyan's rise to top tier of USA South as an assistant coach)
- Kelly George (two-time All-Conference; holds NCWC & USAS record for digs)
- Brittany Insley (NCWC's first four-time All-Conference player; three-time MVP; all-time leader in kills, attempts and blocks)
- Mackenzie Tingle (four-time All-Conference player; 2008 USA South Rookie of the Year; 2012 USAS Woman of the Year)
- Meredith Smith (four-time All-Conference player; second all-time in kills and attempts)
- Anna Hart (two-time All-Conference player; member of D-III All-Star Tour)
To view the complete USA South 50th Anniversary Team in volleyball, please click HERE!
To view more ways the USA South is celebrating its 50th Anniversary, please click HERE!